Monday 7 January 2013

It's all so Odd over here . . so let's get Even, shall we?

     Where were we? I think we were discussing thinking, well I was - so far you haven't entered the discussion, not with me anyway - in your own head maybe (maybe not) - but not on this blog with me; and that's your choice.

So, in my last post I think we were taking a brief look at thought, and I wrote that it is a tricky subject, and I only say that because thought is so intangible - meaning it is not physical/visible, and if you take a very close look at the nature of thought you'll find that it appears to be very personal; but is it? You'll have to answer that question for yourself, but I'll stick my penny worth in. Here goes . . .

Thought is intangible, I can't see your thoughts (as I'm generalising here I'm including feelings in this bag of thoughts (for now), yes, I know all generalisations are false, including this one, but bare with me here for the time being) - and you can't see my thoughts/feelings, right - agreed - I hope? I may well be able to read your body language, which is a tangible (because I'm reading physical signals), but your thoughts are not actually visible to me - is that fair enough? I do hope we're in some sort of agreement here, but if not it's really not that important, I've still got an ha'penny to spend here.

(I'm sitting here writing this in my dressing gown with a cup of tea in my hands when there's an early morning knock on the door. I answer the door to a nice South African chap asking me where he'll find number 30, and I've just had to explain that we are on the odd side of the road - numbers 17, 19, 21 etc and that number 30 is on the other side as that's where all the even numbers are hidden - he looked a little perplexed - but I send him in the right direction, which is great, that's why he came knocking, right? And that's similar to what this journal or Blog is all about...)

Yeah, that's right - I want to make you feel perplexed! Not really - but I do want to share with you my observations on thought, and send you in the right direction, which is about as good as it's going to get!

Thoughts and feelings can be observed. You can observe them - meaning you can watch them in action, or watch them as they unfold within you. I can do that - and so can you, if you so wish, not that it matters any, but one can.

The more one looks at one's own thoughts and feelings the more something unique begins to happen, now I don't want to give the game away here - because this is really, Really, REALLY something you need to discover for yourself, so all I can be/do here is act as a finger pointing you toward the even side of the road. I'm telling you that the house number you're looking for is over there - it's a bit like pointing towards the moon mind, my finger is possibly missing by a few light years ha, ha - but I'm doing my best to point you on target.

. . . just a finger pointing towards the moon . . .

If one is to start anywhere, then one starts to understand life, the universe and everything better when one begins to observe one's self; by which I mean one's thoughts, feelings and actions/behaviour. That is my message to you in this moment, but if you choose not to then it's not the end of the world . . .

There is nothing good or bad, right or wrong and nothing to like or dislike about what you observe - there is simply the experiment, right, remember? We chatted about this last week? Treat this whole thing like an experiment, an experiment in self-observation. You are the scientist and you are watching yourself in action - and by that I mean you're watching your own thinking processes, how you think, feel and behave on a moment to moment basis. Doing that will lead you, sooner or later, to a discovery . . . and I can't wait to hear you tell me all about it . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment